Thursday, July 29, 2010

HLJ VF-27 - WIP 2 - Main fuselage / Head

Brought to you courtesy of HLJ.

Here are the parts that will be added to core fuselage.

The cockpit and pilots have a lot of little details that would look lovely with a bit of paint.
One thing that you should try to take note of is how well the parts line up after snapping them together.  They should be relatively seamless, as shown here.
Some parts don't move.  After snapping the nose cone together you could easily glue/putty/sand this part to remove the seam lines and it wouldn't effect the mech at all.  Of course you would have to paint it and if you paint one part you're going to be painting many just for the sake of consistency.

You're given the option of two types of canopy.  Solid and clear.  The solid one is used in the anime.  Below are the comparisons.  The molding is exactly the same. Material is different.

Which one do you think looks better?

Parts of the head. Relatively simple.

Assembled.
Oops!  Likes like my knife slipped! haha no I did this intentionally of course.  This is the only mod I'm going to be doing to the kit.  I didn't think that the 'horns' were necessary for a super aerodynamic fighter (extra drag) so I cut them off.  I also want the head to resemble my VF-25G a bit more so I cut them off.  I'm going to do a bit of shaping later but I decided to just do a basic 'chop' right away to get a feel for how it'd look.  I kept the horns just in case I change my mind.

6 comments:

  1. Looking good so far. I'm quite surprised you decided to lop off the ears right away. No hesitation. Now there's a man who knows what he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bold mod. Interesting to see how it affects the menace factor of the kit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite from Macross Frontier. Like your decision to cut out the horns, it looks better without them.

    Originally the horns were designed to give it the Lucifer look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was the horn even needed for transforming to begin with?

    ReplyDelete