Monday, February 15, 2010

Still oveseas

Well it’s been just about two weeks since my last post and I feel that I’m overdue.

Damn I miss Gundam stuff sometimes. Am I going through withdrawal? I haven’t touched plastic in a while and I’m a bit envious of the other bloggers out there who are still doing their thing. People working on the new Re-Zel and the Victory… Jealous! I want to work on a new model too… and I’ve had chances but I’ve been putting them off. Trying to be mature about the whole thing…

First off… the reason I haven’t been posting much is because I’ve been travelling… across Japan (Shizuoka, Yamanashi, Aichi, Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Kumamoto) and internationally (Hong Kong, Macau, New Zealand)

I’ve had to resist the urge to pick up Gundams that I’ve come across simply because I don’t want to carry them around (Outside of the Advanced Hazel I bought in Yamanashi of course.)
I saw a 1/144 GM Quel in Fukuoka, Kerberos BuCue Hound and Civilian Astray in Hong Kong
315 HKD for MG Gouf v.2 which is around 4000 yen or so… Not bad I guess.

Not much in New Zealand outside of a rare (to me) Hyperion Gundam but the box was so old that it had faded to black and white practically. That hobby shop I went to was mostly Warhammer stuff. Gunpla seems to be a seller there as they had the stuff right by the entrance and they had some relatively recent models… plus some really old ones that obviously didn’t sell. The price for the PG Mark 2 Titans; 800 NZD. Just under 50 000 yen! Wow.



Shin Musha was 150 NZD. Around 8000 yen. No thanks.



Simply made 1/100 Legend was nice though. I could have made it better. :)

Did I really spend some much money on Gundam when I was back in Canada? I wouldn’t even think of paying such ridiculous prices now. I mean not that id be buying PG’s back home but… I’m sure I was spending a fair amount of money just because there was no other options…

Still though… I’ll be honest… I kind of regret not picking up some of the Gundams that I’ve seen. I mean it’s not like money’s really an issue… It’s more space in my luggage… but I could have made room. And it would have been a nice souvenir of the trip.

But the other part of me is like… I can buy all the Gundams I want in Japan for the cheapest prices anywhere. Why go to another country and get a Japanese souvenir? Shouldn’t I buy something else that’s specific to the country? What would you do?

Even still… having those models would have been cool… When am I going to have a chance to buy a Gundam in Hong Kong that will always remind me of the trip?

Maybe I could just take a note of the Gundam I wanted to buy and then buy it in Japan? lol kind of defeats the purpose. I give up. Eventually lightning will strike me and I will know the answer but for now… I’m just going to not buy anything. My addiction is bad enough in Japan. I don’t need to add other countries to the list.

Not sure when I’m going to get back to regular posting but it won’t be until March. I’m seriously all over the planet this month. And I’m in places where net access isn’t so great so… I just thought I’d explain why I’m not posting nearly as much anymore.

(I’m intentionally leaving out the part where Mass Effect 2 completely consumed my life.)

Peace guys. Even though I can’t post I’m still following what you guys are doing when I can. Thank you for providing me with my ‘plastic fix’ while I’ve been gone.

4 comments:

  1. I am envious of all your travelings. Hope you will have fun BB!

    I haven't touched plastic for awhile as well due to my dad's passing. But I will get back on the band wagon soon.

    Wow...you were at HK around the chinese new year? Must have been very festive. Jealous again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah im having fun! HK was great and yeah i was there for chinese new years but i missed the big day on sunday. i left on new years eve. yeah sorry to hear about your father mate. but like i said before, at least he's not in anymore pain. the plastic can wait. for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're having some good adventures, sounds exciting!

    Civilian astray is awesome, would love to pick a kit up of that one day, would look prett sweet next to the Murasame i'm working on ^_^

    Sorry to hear about your dad G.G, hope you're ok

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buster, hope your enjoying your time traveling. Seriously, enjoy it for what it is, a get away from your regular life, Nagoya, Japan. Oddly enough, I found that when I was back in the states I thought about Gundam maybe once, and that was just when I saw my old kits. I think I realized that while I love Gundam, and had built kits while I was in the states, I probably would not be as into it as I am if I weren’t in Japan.

    1.) It’s cheaper, I can’t even recall how much I must have spent for the few kits or so I have, I know I got some from HLJ (this is like in 1999, 2000) and ebay, but knowing the prices here now, I could never buy one abroad unless it was something like the occasional Hong Kong limited kits
    2.) It’s an out, simply put, from the stress of Japan, that I really realized back in the states when I had a much tighter network of friends and family around me. I told GaiGun as well, and he agreed, that if we had a bigger network of people around us like back home, we both probably wouldn’t do as much Gunpla.

    I think I would do some, but nowhere near as much. But I’m digressing. Enjoy your time abroad and traveling man, that’s the one thing I miss about teaching, you get the breaks too! You can keep getting your gunpla fix by living vicariously though us. ;)

    ReplyDelete