Saturday, October 10, 2009

LM312V05+SD-VB03A V-Dash Gundam

I'm still not done with my "Those Who Were Left Behind" series, about my Gunpla that I've left back home in Canada. Today I bring you the 1/100 HG V-Dash Gundam.



So hard to find good box art these days. Sorry couldn't find a better pic.

Technically this model is the V-Dash Gundam, but it just looks like the regular Victory here. I have the "Dash" parts but there are so many problems with this model that I just left them in the box because they don't exactly fit right anymore.

This model was given to me by someone who found it at a garage sale. Who knows who the original owner was. This was the condition that I got it in.

Also another comparison of flash vs. no flash pictures.



I'm not sure if I'll ever upgrade this thing but I kind of want to just to say that I did. I mean... what a disaster. Loose, exposed and broken joints, random parts are glued together, lame hands, uneven sticker application, gaping, dirty seams in some places, not to mention some random parts are missing. It'd take a lot of work to make this look good but... it'd be a challenge and it would be fun to try and make it into a MS that I could be proud of.

Upgrade outline: My goodness where to start. I'd seriously go back to basics on this kit and get rid of all the seam lines, intense sanding and make the surface flawless as I could for painting. Get rid of those terrible hands. Lower the visor with pla-plate or putty. Shoulders will need a lot of work. Re-work the face... There are a lot of things that I'll have to do just to get this model functional, never mind the painting part. I really don't think I'd change the colour scheme much for this. The traditional colours seem to fit. Either that I'd make the red and blue parts different shapes of green, just for the sake of being different.

Rating: 2/10. I can't do anything with it! It barely stands and it took at lot of effort just to get it into this pose! Poor guy. Even with a massive retooling he couldn't be anything more than average by virtue of his design.

I thought it might be kind of fitting to talk about this now considering the news that a Katoki version of V-Gundam is now slated for release.


Look at this thing. What do you think?


Me? Totally not feeling it. I mean all those curves! Thick in the wrong places, straight in the wrong places... What's the point of releasing this outside of appealing to the V-Gundam fans? I look at this thing and I think... boring. Blah. Maybe it's just me.

Never was a big fan of V-Gundam anyways. I hear it's a really depressing series and hated the fact that the main characters name was "Uso" which means 'lie' (as in fib) in Japanese. That and I fell asleep during the first couple episodes. Just didn't capture me. Not even a big fan of the mecha designs to be honest. It's not high on my list of Gundam series to watch.

Here's a pic of the V-Gundams evolution through the series courtesy of Dalong's message boards for all you fans though.


16 comments:

  1. Haha... I'm still undecided with this kit because it is a Ver Ka! As far as i know, Ver ka kits are the most annoying MGs i've came across. Probably Sinanju is the only exception. I really hate the ball and socket joints on the waist armors. I'll wait and see how are the feedbacks of the early buyers. I thought MG Unicorn Gundam looked cool so i bought it but now it is my most hated MG in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed with you on the V Gundam MG. I as well found the series to be depressing, with an awful lot of senseless killing of characters. And god awful designs. I mean, we go from hornet mobile suits to mobile suits that ride in tires? This is like 8 AM 5 year old kiddy tripe in the designs. I watched it for the sake of finishing off the UC timeline, but I still just wonder how we advance 70 years from First Gundam to having beam shields, but having all other technologies, and the earth in general just take a step back.

    Anyways, the V Gundam is pretty much all of that wrapped up in one. I mean, we go from Sinanju and Unicorn in UC 96 to this in UC 151? Ugh.

    Considering that they're putting the effort into Double O and Unicorn Gundam, with ongoing crap from Seed/Astray currently,I find it really strange to drop another series like V at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah me too. and crap is exactly the word i'd use to describe some of this astray/seed stuff. i mean... nix providence? wtf is that? and heres the kicker. practically sold out at bic camera. there was one nix providence box left the left time i was there. maybe they didnt order many to begin with? but i kind of doubt it. good points about the v gundam series. more negative things than positive it sounds like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm well da design aint bad for the victory ver ka but im not too into the victory series so yea i will probably pass on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least the proportions on the Ver. Ka are far advanced on your poor HG kit. That guy has some major proportion issues!

    I'll reserve my opinion on the Victory MG until some more detailed photos are released. I'm not into the Seed Vs Astray stuff either. The HG schedule for UC MS is looking pretty fine though. Can't wait to see what the next Unicorn MG is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow.. never thought it got so many varation.. not too familiar with V gundam series.. but i rather getting the V2 assault if it release in MG too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. next unicorn mg will be geara zulu and then its variations i bet. trust bandai to milk one design for all its worth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Victory Gundam the series is not too bad.

    The first few episodes was pretty meh, but it gets better later.

    All that death was pretty kool. Especially that of the Shrike Team.

    Anyway, I personally think Bandai is trying to MG-fy all the UC series Gundams. After all, UC is the most well supported series in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel you on the MG V Gundam, BB. I really can't get myself to care one bit for it (I literally yawned looking at it)... the model doesn't have that ver. ka sleek look to it, too much soft corners, and we all know Bandai will milk all its variations. I'm looking forward to a V-Dash though xD. You're also right about the proportions but from what it seems... that's actually accurate o_0. The lower body is like a different size compared to the upper body. I almost want to go ahead and say the original 1/100 doesn't look that far off from the MG model ^^;.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Busterbeam
    I hated Ver Ka for the 2 reasons: Limited poseability and the ball and socket waist armor which limit the articulation even more -and slips out easily.

    I hated my MG Unicorn because it gives me tons of problems, from parts dropping out easily to the fact how much care i need when i handle that kit.

    And, MG V Gundam has 2 V-fins, one in ABS Plastic and one in the rubber type, just in case you break them. I just found out this fact ion NGee Khiong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ver Ka kits are really designed to be models and not toys.

    They tend to sacrifice mobility and durability in order to look kool.

    So a lot of gluing is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the only why V Gundam are in Ver. Ka is because its originally designed by Hajime Katoki-sensei himself... why would he give away his design to be MG-fied not under Ver. Ka.. thus the MG V Gundam so accurate and well porpotioned ^^

    ReplyDelete
  13. well proportioned? well thats debatable. as talented as he is his designs arent perfect. pretty damn close tho most of the time. *looking at wing gundam early type*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wing Ver. Ka = <3

    I am a ver Ka. whore though, I love the Unicorn and Sinanju and mostof his other stuff as well (Crossbone!)...but like you guys I'm just not feeling the V Gundam. I'm glad they're giving a different series some MG love though and hope that this means we'll see a V2 assault buster MG since I don't collect the RD/GFF figures.

    With this, all I want to know is "where are my Gundam X MGs, Bandai?!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. good question! i liked x's designs!

    ReplyDelete