Monday, September 28, 2009

Recent Work: XN Raiser swords and 3x Bazooka

I've got to make at least one post this month about what I've actually been doing as far as modeling goes.
Recently in the Gundam Australia forums we've been talking about 'weapons block' in regards to the Sinanju Group Build. Weapons Block refers to the lack of motivation to complete the weapons of a kit as the main part of the project nears completion or is in fact completed.
I'm going in the opposite direction entirely now. I'm working solely on the weapons. And to make matters worse, these weapons are optional.
Anti-weapons block in action so to speak.

First the XN Raiser swords:

Base swords with clear pla-plate. I know. I was surprised when I first saw it too.


Drilled some holes.

Then removed the center sections.
Why did I do this?
This is why:

I loved the idea. Techically, it would make the blades lighter if this were real. Not as stable but offset by a decease in weight, increase in blade speed coupled with a superior cutting edge. Not a bad trade off. And it looks cool. So I thought why not... I'll give it a shot. And so far so good! I've done a test fitting and it looks like it'll work but there's the issue of painting. I'm still thinking of the best way but it looks like painting the easiest way will force me to give up on the seam lines, otherwise it will be a large pain the butt to keep paint off of the clear pla-plate.
No pictures of this but I did work on the edges of the blades. I removed that extra nub at the tip of the blade and sanded down the cutting edge and tip until it was actually sharp.
I still want to do a bit of putty work to remove some of the small mistakes I made while I was removing all that plastic, but I'm worried that my basic putty will weaken the plastic too much. I don't think epoxy will really be effective for the small amount of puttying I want to do. Dilemas.
For now my main effort of going into the 3x 1/144 bazookas:
We've got a 360mm, 380mm and 400mm. One from my Powered GM, one from the Odaiba Gundam and the last is from a Kotobukiya weapons set.


Special effort went into eliminating the seam lines for these.

The outcome was acceptable. Not perfect but pretty good.
Nothing better than erasing a seam line from existence!


I sanded them pretty hard with 240 grit paper. I like having a bit of a rougher surface before I prime and I wanted to get a bit of texture.



Primed with Mr. Base White 1000 (Mr. White Base? Amuro? Bright? What?) then sprayed with Gundam White (paint ran out just as I finished the 3rd bazooka. Awesome timing.) I thought that the resulting white was a bit too 'cold' so I did a light coat of "Racing White" on top of that to make the white a bit softer.
These weapons will be used by the Odaiba Gundam and the O Gundam so while the white I've achieved doesnt watch the armour completely, it is a close approximation. All things considered.
I've already hand painted the non barrel parts in gun mental. Should have done some masking but who can be bothered. That **** takes a lot of time!
So I'm getting there! Slowly but surely. I've given up on trying complete things at fast paces. Life just gets in the way too much. But I'm still working! Still plugging away just at my own pace, such as it is.
That's all for now but I want to leave Gundam Guy a present.


4 comments:

  1. I like where those swords are going.

    Wow.. 240 grit? I find 400 a bit too textured at times.

    That is a gift for all, regardless of whom it was intended for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has got to be one of your best post BB! Love that present at the end. Man I was so suprised when I saw it after reading that post. 美しい!! *__*

    The XN Raiser sword using clear pla-plate is a fantastic idea. I have that magazine and I didn't even notice they had used clear pla for modding. Your mod is looking good, and your cuts into the sword look very clean. Now I am eager to see how you approach the painting phase.

    As for the little errors from sawing... I am not sure what it is, but for me...if is tiny indents I usually just use little bit of superglue w/ baby powder to cover the area, and just sand it off (this solution only takes 5 mins). For larger gaps then I would use a little bit of polyester putty because it is very easy to cut away the extra putty (feels like cutting a chunk of cheese, and I don't mean this in the other sense). I find Epoxy putty too hard to work with to correct small errors.

    Good work on the weapons. I get weapons block all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving what you've done with the swords. I think I might have to do that with one or two of mine (got 4 so far!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. tonzo - yeah the 240 was a bit tough but it still turned out ok. it was good for getting the seam lines out. i might be a bit gentler next time tho.

    haha G.G. best post ever? you're a bit biased i think tho haha. superglue with baby powder! wow! never thought of that. thats a nice 'home remedy'.

    zircor - good luck! they're pretty cool weapons!

    ReplyDelete