Tuesday, April 21, 2009

PG Red Frame - Dengeki Hobby 5 scans + Analysis

It wouldn't be right if I didn't finish off the set so here it is. Red Frame P-02. All the work done on the previous versions posted here were also done on this one so lets take a look at some of the modifications.

First the main shot.


The first thing most people are going to notice is the clear green on the legs and the helmet. Also great decal application on the left shoulder. Hard to get that looking good with the edge there.


Great decal job on the outer right leg. V-Fin has been sharpened. Extra detailing on the inside of the vents on the back of the shoulders.


Anyone who's assembled this kit knows that there there are two types of red parts (not including polycaps). Care was taken to unify the colour scheme (including the grey parts). There isn't as much contrast, but that also means there isn't as much distraction. I think it works. I haven't gotten into the sword assembly yet so it's hard to comment but it looks like the blade of the Tiger Pierce is a bit darker than the Gerbera Straight. I saw something like this in Hobby Japan as well but that was more of a custom job. It also looks like the hamon is different on each blade as well. Not sure if that's a custom job or if it came like that but I like it. I'll be investigating this in further detail as I near the end of the build process. I intend to spend extra time and effort on the swords (as I did with my 1/100)


Clear green on the clear parts creates a great effect. Especially with the decal and lining under it. Looks like silver paint on the helmet visors, lined then covered with a clear green painted on the clear part. It works in my opinion. Plastic removed from the torso is a minor mod but it's good. I think the deeper etching of the panel line there created a larger effect though. Lining on the inside of the armour? Hm... don't know if I'm going to go that far this time.

I'm not done with these Astray's yet friends! More to come!

6 comments:

  1. The PG Red Astray is a great kit. I have yet to do a PG but I am tempted with this one. Bonus points for you for knowing the term 'hamon'. Do the two katana have 'yasurime' on the 'nakago'? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes of a sort. only along the lower edge and not the flat of the nakago like a conventional blade. you know your swords too i see.

    you've never made a pg before? this is my fourth and im tempted to say the best one. as far as flexibility, the strike beats them all hands down and this one is based off of that frame. i'm not sure how the armour is going to impact that yet but if the frame is any indication it's going to be pretty damn good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. blah maybe i'll make my own 'conventional' yasurime just to bring the detail level up a couple of notches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought both HJ and Dengeki when I was over there a couple weeks ago and I have to say both spreads are impressive. The HJ spread wins as far as the kit itself is concerned, but Dengeki wins for the recolours and the poster. There's something about having large glossy pages in front of you that scans on a computer screen just can't compete with I've found out.

    Love to see some special work on the swords from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tonzo i feel exactly like you do about all of this. the scans only go so far but they do what i need them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been pondering whether to make the Strike my first PG, but the Astray looks really nice. I like the Dengeki spread, but also it comes with the waterslides and 'gunpla tool'

    ReplyDelete